The Manga/Comics Reading and Research Network (MaRRN) in New York welcomes everyone to discuss manga from diverse perspectives, including artists, fans, scholars, researchers, educators, editors, publishers, translators, etc.
The primary mission of the MaRRN is to develop a network among individuals and groups who engage with manga/comics to deepen the knowledge of the medium, industry, and culture surrounding it. While starting as a reading group meet-up, we will have special lecture events in which we will invite artists, scholars, and professionals about manga/comics.
Please also check out Manga University in NY (MUNY), a spin-off of MaRRN.
- Thursday, November 8, 2018 – Haruko Kumota’s Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Vol. 1 & Yoshihiro Tatsumi’s Fallen Words with a special guest Tozaburo Yanagiya, a professional rakugo performer.
Join us for the MaRRN’s fourth meeting on Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Vol. 1 by Haruko Kumota and Fallen Words by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. Both works are about the Japanese traditional art of storytelling/entertainment called rakugo in which a performer tells comedic stories—sometimes sentimental or horror stories, too—with a variety of storytelling techniques such as gestures, dialects, differently-pitched voices, and mannerisms. Kumota’s Descending Stories fictionally tells about the world of rakugo, including mentor-disciple relationships, traditional customs, and rakugo audience. Tatsumi’s work is a collection of gekiga adaptations of famous rakugo stories.
This meeting has a slightly different format from previous MaRRN meetings. We will have a casual chat/reading time at the beginning over coffee, tea, or food. Dr. Keiko Miyajima, professor at CUNY, will then lead a discussion by introducing the author Kumota and her works, followed by a talk & Q&A. The event will close with a mini-rakugo performance by Tozaburo Yanagiya.
Like previous meetings, it will be a very informal, friendly gathering for any participants who are interested in manga and rakugo. No previous reading requirement. One drink or meal purchase from the menu is required as we are gathering in the café.
Please note that this MaRRN meeting will be held at RESOBOX East Village (6:00 – 9:00 PM), not the Long Island City or Chelsea location.
- Friday, February 23, 2018 – Shigeru Mizuki’s Hitler
- Thursday, June 15, 2017 – Fumi Yoshinaga’s Ōoku: The Inner Chambers Vol.1
- Thursday, May 11, 2017 – Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix, Vol. 2: A Tale of the Future
- Shige (CJ) Suzuki, PhD. Associate Professor at Baruch College, CUNY
- George Tsouris, Artist/Professor at CUNY