Craft your own original food art piece with ORINIGIRI (origami and onigiri [rice ball])! How can you change a white paper and white rice?
Show your creativity by just forming and constructing rice balls! Everything is up to you and your originality!
In this workshop, you will:
- Design an ORINIGIRI paper with drawing or collage.
- Make a rice ball.
- Decorate the rice ball with ingredients.
- Combine them and admire your work!
We’ve got all the materials, but you can your own bring materials if you have something you want to incorporate in your creation!
What is “ORINIGIRI?”
ORINIGIRI is a new type of art (and way of eating!) that combines the fun features of “Origami” and “Onigiri (Rice balls).” It’s easy to make and guests who participate in this workshop can enjoy the great and interesting onigiri experience!
See more workshops happening alongside this one here!
Learn more about ORINIGIRI from our previous workshops:
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 1: A Combination of Origami and Onigiri
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 2: Let’s Enjoy Creating and Cooking ORINIGIRI
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 3: Discover the Real Taste of Rice by Making ORINIGIRI!
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 4: Adopt a Japanese home-style meal to put on your table!
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 5: Let’s make KAWAII (CUTE) “ORINIGIRI”!
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 6: Much Mochi to Munch on!
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 7: Create Your Own USA Version “ORINIGIRI!”
- ORINIGIRI Workshop 8: Let’s try making a photogenic “BENTO” lunchbox!
About the Artists & Collaborators
Architect, Video Artist
Nitta was born in 1971. He studied at Kyusyu Institute of Design (presently Kyusyu University), Rhode Island School of Design and worked at Shigeru Ban Architects. In February 2014, he established Himawari Design, where he started to design varieties of space on public architecture as far as product design based on the study of using one sheet of paper. He is obsessed with design that connects various cultures and various people based on the simplicity of Japanese beauty. He also sends his message to the world through his conceptual videos. Since he married Aiko Sugiura, a writer and a concept designer in 2016, he's set up Project AICHI with her. Their activity of Himawari Design is constantly growing day by day.
Table For Two
TABLE FOR TWO USA (TFT), is non-profit organization that addresses the issues of hunger and obesity through a unique "meal-sharing" program.
25 cents from workshop fee will be donated to Table For Two to provide one healthy school meal to a child in low-income communities in the U.S including New York. Thank you for your support!